Wednesday 16 March 2011

Environmental Studies Assignment

This week I am working hard at university for an environmental assignment due next week. The topic I am going to work on is the threat that possums have to our native birds and vegetation.

The Australian brush tailed possum was introduced into New Zealand in 1837, and since have increased in numbers to 70 million! Possums feed on our native trees such as rata, totara, titoki, kowhai and kohekohe, they eat around 21,000 tonnes of vegetation every 24 hours. Possums also threaten our endangered birds such as kiwi, fantail, muttonbird, and tūī.
The government spends approximately $30m per year to control possum populations! This week I will be at the library researching plenty information for my assignment!

Hope you enjoyed my interesting information for today, Have fun at camp!

2 comments:

Moala said...

I never seen are possum in my life net I just got your e-mail yesterday when I was doing my work at my senior literacy group in the morning I have lot of fun at camp you should it come and look at our camp food it was so nice.
Moala

Miss Ouano said...

Hi Moala,
You might see a possum next time you go for a trip out of Auckland. They usually come out in night in places out the city. Camp sounds like fun, you will have to tell all about it when I come back. : )